Monday, March 1, 2010

Tsunami experience


Only in Hawaii would the stores put a ration on spam!

Well we survived our first natural disaster experience. Considering we got plenty of warning (a phone call at 230am from Eric's coworker, left the house at 730am) we got everything we needed packed and ready to go. We did learn a few lessons in the process. Here they are in no particular order:
1- Have baby food and formula on hand. While the rest of us could eat whatever was around I only had enough food and formula for two days for Matthew. I sent Eric to the store, knowing it would be a mad house, but he called and said it would be at least a 30 min wait to check out. He came back empty handed but thankfully Matthew only needed three jars and one bottle while we waited things out.
2- Think short term as well as long term. Eric loaded two boxes of food storage and lots of water in the van. (Which are still waiting to be taken out) We felt good about having enough things to last us a while but as we waited we found that we didn't have a lot for the here and now. We did make peanut butter and honey sandwiches but nothing really beyond that.
3- Entertainment for the adults. Ok this may sound silly but really you can only listen to the radio/ news for so long before you get bored. We brought stuff for William and Matthew but by the third hour I was itching for a book or music or something else to do.
4- Remember to be comfortable. Again a silly thing but if you're going to be waiting a while then you need to be comfortable. I did think about grabbing our pillows before we left but thought we wouldn't have room for them. When Eric made a trip back to the house I told him to make sure he grabbed them, as well as our shoes (we were in our sandals which isn't the best when walking in horse fields), some chips and my mumu (he told me that I needed to wear pants or shorts but again by that point I was thinking comfort)

We are grateful that this was just a test run. We learned a lot and have talked about the things we would do differently if it happened again. We also learned that if we had less notice who would grab what and where we would go. I can't say I wish it didn't happen. Yes we were very tired afterwards but I think it showed all of us how prepared we are or are not for the unknown.
Later that day as we got ready for bed, William told us "I'm sorry the big waves didn't come today. I'm very sorry." We had to explain to him that we were glad they didn't come but he again apologized that we didn't see any and that "maybe next time we'll see the big waves." Let's hope next time we'll remember what we learned and be even more prepared.

5 comments:

brittani c. said...

I was thinking about you and Basualto this whole weekend. So glad everything's okay! It's interesting to hear what you were doing while Hawaii was under tsunami warning. Although I live in a small apartment, I really should have a better food storage.

Karrot Soup said...

I love the Spam sign, thanks for taking a picture of that! I recently taught a class on 72-hour kits, and ours are pretty much all set, but we've never had to use them and so I don't know for sure what we might end up wanting...we do have a deck of cards in there for the grownups at least. No mumus though.

Brey, Hillary, Leila & Lydia said...

Thanks for the info! We dont have our kits together- and we would be in worse shape than you! i'm glad the big waves didn't come- i was so worried for your family. Hows the pregnancy going?

The Stevens said...

I thought about you guys all day and was so worried! I am glad all went well and that you were safe. I am glad to have all the pointers. I need to brush up on our emergency preparedness. Thanks for your wisdom.

The Jeffs Family said...

Glad to hear you are all safe and sound. Thanks for the advice--I will have to add a few things to our 72 hour kits! Hope you are enjoying the end of your pregnancy!